Jeffrey Rowland's OVERCOMPENSATING
topatoco

06 September 2006

The Time Tinkerer



Today's topic is Jesus movies! I just saw the trailer for Jesus Camp which seems kind of like a movie we watched recently called Hell House which is basically a movie about what it was like for me as a boy growing up in Oklahoma. Jesus was like a superhero whose secret identify was the winner of American Idol.

It's like there's two types of people -- people who can't believe people actually do that sort of thing and people to whom that sort of thing is completely normal. I fall in the latter category but as a midwest refugee I am in the minority now.

In non-Jesus movie news I promised the Avett Brothers I would give them a link! If you get a chance to see these guys you are in for a wicked hoot-nanny, and if you don't have an excellent time I will personally give you a neck massage.

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I saw that Hell House. That church calls it speaking in tongues, I calls it straight-up jibba jabba.

6/9/06 13:49  
Blogger Jaron said...

Wow, I'm not sure I have seen a creepier movie trailer.

6/9/06 16:09  
Blogger wade said...

For a film that claims to be even handed, where's the part where the kids sneak into the woods to clumsily paw at each other? I thought that's what church camp was all about?
These kids today...not like it was back in my day...

6/9/06 19:37  
Blogger Noa said...

Man, brainwashed is brainwashed no matter what spin you put on it.

6/9/06 22:29  
Blogger propa said...

I'n sorry, but I have to ask the obvious question. What the hell did Weedmaster P do/try to do?

7/9/06 01:47  
Blogger Example for YRAW said...

I'm a recovering "one of those" fundymentalists, and old enough to know better now.

The culture is so full of people politics, mass-hysteria, groupthink and so forth, that I'm not sure Jesus would have recognized any of it.

Choose whatever religion you like, but this kind of "Western Taliban" stuff is just plain WHACKED.

8/9/06 01:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home